Would you like to know if PS5 controller drift is causing your character to run around in circles? What you need to do is as follows.
There appears to be a problem with the DualSense controller on the PS5. The good news is that you can easily fix the PS5 controller drift problem.
In spite of the fact that it is not limited to the DualSense joypad by any means, with Xbox controller drift and Oculus controller drift being equally as problematic, our focus today is going to be on the DualSense joypad itself, and what should be done if yours suddenly develops this problem. I have to add it to the list of several problems that have been reported with the PS5 controller, one of which is the PS5 trigger that seems to be broken.
It is likely that at some point in the future as we move further into the lifespan of the PlayStation 5 and the game hours accumulate, you will have to deal with this issue at some point. It is a good thing that there are some potential fixes you can explore if you wish. I would like to go over them one by one now.
How To Fix DualSense Stick Drift on PS5 Controller
It can be difficult to troubleshoot stick drift on the DualSense PS5 controller because it involves a number of different steps. Let’s start with the relatively easy and work our way up from there:
- You should make sure that your console and controller are up-to-date. Your console should automatically do this for you, but you might want to make sure that you’re using the correct version of the software on your console. You can follow our handy guide to find out what you need to do.
- If this doesn’t help, then you can try resetting your controller to see if that helps. As you can see, there’s a small hole on the back of the DualSense, right next to the Sony logo. If you can find a tool like a paperclip, press and hold the button down for five seconds by using the tool. When you have connected your controller to your PS5 via USB, press the PS button on your controller.
- The Trigger Effect Intensity can be reduced in the controller settings by going into the controller settings. By reducing or turning off this setting, you may be able to reduce drift a bit.
- Additionally, there is the option to turn off the Bluetooth connection within the controller settings menu: Settings > Accessories > Controllers > Communication Method > Turn Off Bluetooth. It is sometimes possible to solve the problem by turning off Bluetooth and then turning it back on again.
- I would like to end by reminding you that it is important to make sure your joystick is kept clean at all times. In the case of dust, sweat, or dirt building up on the device, this can have a negative impact on its performance. Therefore, keeping things clean is well worth the effort. Clean a dry cloth and wipe around the joystick’s base, where it meets the controller, with a clean, dry cloth. Below are some additional tips that I would like to share with you.
It’s probably time to contact Sony, to inquire as to whether or not your controller can be repaired or replaced if none of these remedies work. Especially if you are still covered by your manufacturer’s warranty which usually lasts for 12 months from the date of purchase. Sony can be contacted here if you need any further assistance.
What is PS5 controller drift?
It is possible that you are reading this without ever having encountered stick drift before. There is no doubt that once it starts happening, you will know exactly what we are talking about. Occasionally you might notice that the analog stick starts moving when you are not pressing it, or that your aim is always slightly high and to the left, or that your character isn’t moving the way you expect them to, it’s not always a matter of your questionable abilities as a gamer.
There are times when there is a fundamental problem with your controller, which means you are sending an input signal even when you are not touching it. As a result, all these strange things happen as well, and they can make playing a game even more difficult than it should be because of all these peculiar things that happen. In this case, we are talking about stick drift.
You may find yourself in the same situation, and if so, then take a look at our troubleshooting tips, and see if they help you get things back in their rightful place. One of the downsides of this system is that if you continually miss your jumps, you won’t have anyone to blame but yourself.
How long does a DualSense controller last?
The battery life of the device is not the main focus here (around 10-12 hours, by the way). The fact is that things break down, wear out, and go wrong from time to time. It should be noted that drift is one of the indications that a controller is wearing out.
But exactly how long should you expect your controller to last before it needs to be replaced? Taking good care of your horse is an inexact science, since a lot will depend on how well you take care of it.
According to a report by iFixit (via mspoweruser), even after 400 hours or so of gameplay, you may begin to experience controller drift on the DualSense after just 400 hours of use. Due to the fact that some of today’s games can last for well over 100 hours of gameplay by themselves, it is possible that your controller may wear out much faster than you might expect.